Thursday, January 20, 2011

I will never use wool yarn again.

I decided that about 3 months ago when I made a pair of slippers using wool yarn and had so much trouble with it when I had to pull out stitches and restart. It likes to stick together, which is probably why it's so warm, but let me tell you, if you've never experienced the frustration of pulling out stitches whose fibers have become overly friendly and are now all but fused together, it's not something you really want to have to deal with. During this same project, I also decided that I really don't like foundation single crochet (or double or triple or any other kind for that matter). Perhaps the fsc was main reason the wool yarn and I didn't get along.

Oh, I've also learned, more recently, that "Bamboo and Ewe" yarn is just as grabby.

In other words, my sock and I made friends again last night, although I think the relationship is destined to go no where fast. After almost completing the heel, I tried on the sock (again), and much to my dismay, realized that it is much to large. Yes, I've followed the pattern exactly...except I forgot that I'm using a hook that is a size larger, which has thrown off my gauge and has made what should be a perfect fitting sock into one that I think the Abominable Snowman might be able to wear as a hat. It's bad. I have large feet, but even so...

So I'm faced with a choice. Do I finish the enormous sock and just chalk it up to lessons learned? Do I pull out the stitches (which are all sticking together) to a point where the giant sock will become a normal sock again? Or, and this is the solution I'm leaning towards, do I pull out the whole sock and start over again with a new pattern from my new sock book that just came today? I think the new sock plan will win, not just because it's new (though that does give it brownie points), but because the right now my giant sock is rather ugly. And what's the point of socks if they don't look cute?

Tonight will most likely be spent re-winding my yarn and restarting with a different pattern. This new pattern has more picture, and no esc, so maybe I'll like it better. It's worth a try, right?

Or maybe I'll finish off the giant sock and hang over my mantle next Christmas. I bet Santa could fit a lot of loot inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment